The Petaluma Health Center’s mission is to provide high quality health care, with access for all, in Southern Sonoma County. The Center accomplishes this mission through collaborative, innovative programs, services and referral resources that meet the economic needs of the entire community.
The Petaluma Health Center is a seven-time award winner in the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work for 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2009 and we were named as one of "2015 Healthiest Companies in the North Bay" by the North Bay Business Journal.
We are a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides primary medical care and mental health services to residents of Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Penngrove and surrounding areas. We are organized as a private, non-profit corporation and governed by a consumer and community led Board of Directors.
For more information about us, please visit us at www.phealthcenter.org.
Position Title: Optometrist – Per Diem – Part-time On-Call
The Per Diem Optometrist serves the optometric visual needs of patients by providing full scope optometry services at a high traffic satellite clinic on an as needed basis. The optometry practice will be a satellite clinic in a well trafficked retail location in order to serve our patients with a convenient location and hours. The clinic will be fully equipped for primary eye care and will have access to the complete support of the ambulatory clinics located at Rohnert Park and Petaluma Health Center.
Hours will vary from month to month and be subject to satellite clinic needs.
- · Diagnosis of visual and ocular problems through external and internal physical examination of the eye and adnexa; detection of neuromuscular impairment or anomalies of binocular function, treatment of visual disorders through the prescription of corrective lenses and basic vision training and pharmacological means
- · Treatment of unusual and/or complex visual and ocular disorders through the application of advanced optometric techniques
- · Diagnose and manage optometric and ocular medical problems and advise members of the medical staff concerning ocular conditions and the interpretation of vision testing results and recommend test procedures most likely to solve diagnostic problems
- · Receive referrals from other health care professionals for specialty consultation and continued management of ocular disease for coordinating medical eye care with other physicians as appropriate
- · Assign ‘in house’ referrals to specialties within the Petaluma/Rohnert Park Health Centers to include ophthalmology, primary care, dental, mental health, etc. Refer patients appropriately for tertiary vison care to the Eye Care Institute, North Bay Eye, North Bay Vitreoretinal Consultants, or Lion’s Eye Foundation
- · Will perform limited contact lens services
- · Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· Doctor of Optometry (O.D.)
· New graduate or established practitioner
· Experience using all forms of topical ophthalmic therapeutic medicines as well as oral therapeutic medicines to manage ocular pathology and trauma that are allowed under California State law
· Experience treating unusual and/or complex visual and ocular disorders through the application of advanced optometric techniques
· Ability to work fluidly with electronic medical records
Licenses and Certifications:
· California licensed Optometrist certified to treat glaucoma (GLC)
· National Provider Identifier
· DEA number if prescribing codeine with compounds or hydrocodone with compounds
· Current BLS certification
· Candidate must be able to successfully meet PHC’s credentialing and privileging requirements
Language Skills: Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions and requests from patients, co-workers, and others as necessary. Bilingual in English and Spanish, both written and verbal preferred.
Petaluma Health Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply directly through our career page at www.phealthcenter.org. Or call Karline DeShane directly: 1-707-559-7644